Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Grief support


Having long been an amateur photographer, I was reminded today that not all perfect days are sunny and cloud-free. Clouds give an interesting impact to photos, and create magnificent sunrises and sunsets. Perhaps I have found the silver lining!

I have spent some time in online grief forums. And some chat rooms. I found enormous help from people who have been through what I had been through, who were walking the same walk as me. And in spite of the fact that, as noted in an earlier post, we all experience grief differently, there are still enough similarities to understand. I think also that grief makes one very empathetic to others grief. It certainly had that effect on me. We get it, sort of. 
Hubby and I each found different grief support forums, both with pages for parents who have lost a child. It was a blessing. It was a place to go and air our troubles, without upsetting our spouse further. We were there for each other still, but sometimes we just didn't want to bring the other one further down to our depth of despair. He is my rock, and he has held me up to keep me from falling too far. He has said the same of me. But still, those forums were handy. After awhile, when I found my footing again (and I could not tell you now when this was), I found that I was the one doing the supporting for others in the forum. It was a natural progression. I rarely visit the forum now, just stop in once in awhile to see how some are doing, or to post if I have something of big significance to share. But I guess I have mostly moved on. That is not to say I don't still grieve my son, or hurt anymore. But I guess I have learned how to stand on my own again. Sort of.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. And I have long been in awe of both of you for the strength of faith and strength of love you both possess.

    ReplyDelete